Monday, August 13, 2007

Poor poor Detective Acker

Have you noticed how many opinions people have? Just all on their own? And then, if you combined several people's opinions, you're bound to have much disagreement and variation. I mean, can't we all just get along?

For instance... I end the first chapter of my book with "I knew what I had seen. (paragraph break) Detective Acker was going to die."

Makes sense, right? I mean, that, on its own, implies Detective Acker's demise is imminent.

So, one of my editors tells me "Everyone is going to die. What makes Detective Acker special?" Seeing his point, I change the sentence to read: "Detective Acker was going to die soon."

Then, my most fabulous critiquer, Sonja, gets the chapters and leaves me a note next to that line that says: "I get why you changed it, but it lessens the impact. You should make die or death be the end of the sentence."

So i contemplate changing it back. Before i do, however, i consult with others. These are the suggestions that followed:

"Soon, Detective Acker would die."

"In the Pringles can of Detective Acker's life, only a few chips remained."

"I knew what i had seen: Detective Acker was going to die."

"In the Academy Awards of Detective Acker's life, the orchestra had already begun to swell"

"I knew what i had seen. (paragraph break) The mark. The mark of death."

and other such helpful suggestions. While i appreciate the input, i was just a little bit on mental overload, about this one freaking sentence. I mean, we all know Detective Acker is doomed. Do we really have to focus so much energy on it?

Poor Detective Acker.

Any of you have thoughts on how i should inform my readers of his imminent death? I eventually changed it back to what I'd originally said.

Detective Acker was going to die.

2 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

I'm totally right about "going to die soon" not having as much impact as ending with death. ;) But I like the Pringles can one best.

Skye Forbes said...

That one was Bryn's. He says he's going to go to all the bookstores he can when it's published and cross out my line and write the "correct" one in. I'm so lucky to have such a helpful brother...