Monday, July 16, 2007

My Psychopathic Tendencies

Well, we're back from Dallas, and both intact in our opposite corners of the country. Skye managed to survive my raving psychopathicness regarding conference with grace and aplomb. (I'm not really sure what aplomb is but it's a cool word and I'm pretty sure she has it.)

As it turns out, my raving psychopathicness actually paid off. I went to all my psychopathically planned workshops and learned a whole bunch about the topic I went to conference this year to learn about: characterization. By far the best workshop I took was Marliss Melton's workshop on using the Myers-Briggs personality test to profile and match your hero and heroine. It was a BIG lightbulb moment.

But I got curious and wondered where I myself would fall on the Myers-Briggs scale, so I went and took the test. Apparently I am an ISFJ (Introverted Sensing Feeling Judger), otherwise known as a Protector Guardian. And, lo and behold, it explains my psychopathic tendencies regarding filling every minute of conference with useful stuff. See that J at the end that makes me a Judger? That means I like to plan stuff. I like to have the decision made, and then stick to it. It's not my fault, it's my personality's fault.

Other stuff about me, according to my ISFJ status, that will make Skye laugh because it's so true:

And although they're hurt by being treated like doormats, they are often unwilling to toot their own horns about their accomplishments because they feel that although they deserve more credit than they're getting, it's somehow wrong to want any sort of reward for doing work (which is supposed to be a virtue in itself).

Poor Skye has heard me whine about my day job often enough to groan, "dear god, so true."

They are capable of forming strong loyalties, but these are personal rather than institutional loyalties; if someone they've bonded with in this way leaves the company, the ISFJ will leave with them, if given the option.

Ooh, again with doing that exact thing in my day job.

They are usually as concerned with being "nice" as with strict propriety.

This trait makes me an endless target for Skye's mockery. Luckily, I don't feel the need to be "nice" to her.

They are often unable to either hide or articulate any distress they may be feeling.

So Saturday night I was wandering aimlessly around our hotel room going, "I don't want to pack. I don't want to go home. I don't want a day job. Life sucks. I feel like crap." Wisely, she saw through my inability to ACCURATELY articulate my distress and recommended rum and sleep, which in fact cured most of the yuckies.

This childlike Ne is the likely source (coupled with fun-loving Extraverted Feeling) of the practical joking, punning and (usually harmless) impishness of some ISFJs.

Impish is such a good word.

So what are you? Go take the test. Come on, don't pretend like you don't have an hour or two to kill gazing at your naval.

Skye says we're supposed to give away books as prizes since we both brought home a buttload of books from conference, so if you go take the test and tell me what type you are, you're in the running for a copy of Bite Me If You Can by Lindsay Sands.

11 comments:

Skye Forbes said...

You're not an endless target for my mockery. Sometimes i feel bad and stop :) And once, i even apologized to you for being such a bitch. remember?

Sonja Foust said...

I do remember, but then I was "nice" to you and told you it was no problem and I that love you even if you constantly mock me. :D

Becky said...

LOL My type is INFJ (Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging) a Counselor Idealist like Mohandas Ghandi and Eleanor Roosevelt. lol Never thought I'd be classified in the same group as either of those. lol

Anonymous said...

I have an INFJ personality, too. Hmmm, does that mean we are all alike?

Anonymous said...

Me too, I'm an INFJ too. Strange...lol!!

Valerie

Anonymous said...

I am an ESFJ. It says: All else being equal, ESFJs enjoy being in charge. They see problems clearly and delegate easily, work hard and play with zest. ESFJs, as do most SJs, bear strong allegiance to rights of seniority. They willingly provide service (which embodies life's meaning) and expect the same from others.

I guess so! LOL :-D

Gonzo said...

I took this last year and am proud to say I am an ISFJ as well....innnnteresting.

Anonymous said...

I tested INTJ, but I have tested INFJ before, and my thinking preference isn't real strong on this test. So, I guess I'm just barely an evil mastermind, according to Keirsey.

I think this might mean I'm kind of an asshole. Heh heh. "Natural leaders, Masterminds are not at all eager to take command of projects or groups, preferring to stay in the background until others demonstrate their inability to lead."

But maybe I tested badly because I suck at chess, and I'm supposed to be good at it. Go fig.

Sonja Foust said...

I am just barely ISFJ. I could pass for INFJ too.

Sonja Foust said...

And I'm glad to be in the midst of so many INFJ counselors, by the way. :-) You all are going to change the world!

Skye Forbes said...

I was an ESFJ, which explains why Sonja and I get along so well. Although, I have to point out that as i've gotten older, I've gotten a whole lot less E and a whole lot more I. This time, I was only 1 more E than I. Soon I'll be a recluse.

But I don't necessarily thing that it's right... my description includes this: "Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise." Which is total crap for me. I'm way laid back about everything...