Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Hairy Weekend

It's my turn to post again, but I was just giving you all some time to mull over whether you want to leave a comment on Skye's post and win some stuff. So I'm giving you an extension. You have, like, another 2 days to scroll down and leave a comment on her post and win an unnamed (but totally awesome) prize. Do eet.

I have nothing exciting to share with you besides the fact that I dyed my hair. In fact, I don't even think I've told Skye about this yet. Whoops. Well, we'll call it even since she's been withholding big important pieces of news from me too. Because my hair is totally big important news.

Anyway, the change-my-hair bug bit me on Friday night. I looked through my "emergency" stash of hair dyes and found a lovely midnight black and an equally lovely platinum blonde. The platinum blonde I'd never attempted before because my hair is naturally dark and platinum blonde usually turns puke orange on my head. But, somehow, I convinced myself that this time, it would be different, and I was going to do a strip of blonde in front a la Rogue from X-Men and the rest in black. I was very professional about it. I used foil and everything.

The professionalism wore off a little when the peroxide sort of oozed into my eyeballs in the shower and I screamed, "Oh my god it burns!" I don't imagine professionals do that too often. Still, I soldiered on. By the paltry light of nighttime, it didn't look too bad.

By the illuminating light of morning, my poor retinas screamed again, this time in fear. What had I done? The funkadellic streak I'd been going for was, in fact, white at the roots and pink everywhere else. Jeez. Not only that, but I'd managed to miss large swaths of hair with the black dye, so I had a pink and white strip in front and chunks of black and chunks of faded red in the back. I cried. A lot. And then put on a hat and went to the store to buy another box of midnight black.

Saturday night, I dyed my whole head midnight black, hoping to correct the pink strips and the red chunks. It's slightly better now, but there was an unintended side effect: The blue undertones of the black hair dye show up a LOT on the parts of my roots that turned white from the platinum blonde dye. So now my hair is mostly black... with navy blue strips in front.

I give up though. Funkadellic blue strips it will be. (Thankfully, you can't see the blue too much in this picture. Hopefully that's what it really does look like and not the electric blue I imagine it to be. Although my boss said to me this morning, "Your hair is less blue today." Um. Thank you?)

Make me feel better: Tell me your worst hair disaster story and be entered in the running for The Shoe Queen by Anna Davis.

4 comments:

Diana Castilleja said...

Oh you poor thing! I do understand. I do a lot of my own coloring too. You have to be careful, no doubt.

You really want to know the worst hair debacle I've done??

Okay, I made myself butch... and no, it was NOT what was intended.

I had tried for a new hair look, and found a cute stylish clipped cut. IT DID NOT WORK ON ME! I looked absolutely butch. I have never cut my hair that short again, and no, I have no pictures. Wasn't fate lucky that at the time I would't allow them?? :)

Unknown said...

I let my sister put in blonde hightlight. We got a kit from walmart to do it. Well, I had really long hair and it was really thick. I liked to have never gotten the cap back off. And when I did, my hair was so tangled. The color was okay, but it turned my whole hair blonde except for the roots, they were brown.

Cherie J said...

My worst hair was right after I had my first child. My hair fell out in clumps. It got so bad that I looked like some balding male with a huge receding hairline. This time when I had my baby girl 9 months ago it was not such a shock when it fell out. I made sure I got a professional haircut before I gave birth and was able to arrange my hair in a loose style to cover the bald spots. My siter and mom thought it looked much better this time around and I felt better about.

Becky said...

I love your posts! I have so many stories to tell about myself, including one about a bad hair. lol

About 2 years ago, I was going to a wedding for one of my mom's friends. My mom wanted my hair to be in curls so she put my hair into these weird curlers (not the normal ones, these were more like bobby pins). When I woke up in the morning and I took them out I had a humongous afro and my hair was all frizzed out. No matter what I did my hair wouldn't behave or stop being poofy. So my mom gave me a bottle of 'hair gel' and I put it down on the counter so I could remove a comb from my hair that had gotten stuck. I picked up the bottle and poured a bunch onto my hair and stared crimping it and stuff. It felt kind of funky and sticky so I looked at the bottle and lo and behold it was crazy glue. I had gotten the bottles mixed up and my hands were stuck to my hair. The only way my mom could get my hands unstuck from my hair was to cut it at the scalp. By the time she was done my hair not only had dried bits of glue all over it but it was long in some parts and short in others and was a complete disaster. In short I looked like Frankenstein's bride, but 10 times worse. I was so embarrassed going to that wedding, it wasn't even funny. It took 10 months for my hair to even start looking normal, considering my mom got this special kind of shampoo that ended up making my hair fall out in clumps, and the glue finally came after about a month. It was a nightmare. lol

Well that's my story. Thank God I haven't had another problem quite like that since. I don't think I could handle that. I can certainly sympathize with you though. I've had a few dyeing accidents with my hair, too lol