Wednesday, October 17, 2007

NaNoWriMo Kit

I'm once again jumping into the NaNoWriMo fray this year. And, as always, I vow to win. Maybe this year, the month of November won't make me out to be a dirty stinkin' liar.

At least I have an idea this year. Last year I didn't even have that going for me. Ok, well, I did but it was a really Big Idea involving thematic elements I hadn't digested properly yet, and still haven't. Not a good thing to get going on when you don't know what you're really trying to "Say." And I mean "Say" as in capital-letter philosophically theologically "Say."

This year I'm tackling something that's been marinating in my Idea Book for... gosh... years, I think. I should probably start dating that stuff when I add it to the Idea Book so I'll know how long it's been sitting in my subconscious before I pick it up and do something with it. Then again, that might be depressing. If every idea has to marinate for two years, that's not really a good thing.

Um, so I had a point. Oh right. I was going to share my NaNoWriMo survival kit with you all. It's not unlike my regular writing kit, but NaNoWriMo gives me an excuse to talk about it with you. Here it is:

1. Laptop- To any of you long-handers, you have my sympathies, and you may also have my crazy pills. You need them more than I do.

2. Fingerless black gloves I bought last year- so awesome.

3. The Nano chat room, where I can whine, complain, swear, and generally be a pain in the butt when I'm not writing.

4. Photoshop- Shut up, you know you waste countless hours designing signature banners instead of writing. Procrastination is totally part of the process.

5. A snazzy word-tracking spreadsheet. I must see my progress.

6. A random person willing to talk me through plot problems. Takers?

7. A Nano t-shirt. I need one. If I spend the money on a t-shirt, then I HAVE to win, on principle.

8. Many shoulder massages from understanding and supportive husband.

9. The Idea Book and matching black roller pen. All ideas go in the idea notebook before Nano starts and then I look at them as I'm writing if I get stuck.

10. Random puppy kisses from the very kissy puppy.

What's in your writing kit?

4 comments:

Skye Forbes said...

fingerless gloves? really?

Sonja Foust said...

Totally. I will take a picture. They are super awesome.

Skye Forbes said...

I'm not sure we can still be friends...

Unknown said...

I posted my NaNoWriMo kit! http://community.livejournal.com/scriptitans/1960.html